Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Importance of Being Valued

I can't express how happy I am to be in the place I find myself right now. Financially things have seldom been more difficult. But, I have been "working" sort of, in a very unofficial capacity.
I am so appreciative of the fact that I am being made to feel valued and important. To know that my opinion is not only solicited but welcomed means a great deal to me. Even though there are challenges in abundance in this new endeavor, the knowledge that I am recognized for my contribution does a great deal to pump up my self esteem.
For so many years I worked in an environment that made me feel as though I had no value. I never felt like I was a part of a team, instead I always felt like an outsider. And at the end of a road that was 17 years in the making - there was nothing for me when we reached the destination station. Not even a heartfelt "thank you" for all those years when I worked nights, weekends, got up before the sun and hauled equipment, stood on my feet, dealt with rude and unappreciative people. Just a "Well, that's it - see you around." Talk about the wetting your pants in a dark suit syndrome.
If more people who found themselves in the position of signing payroll checks could clue in to the fact that people crave to know THEY are important. The pats on the back, the "atta boys", the acceptance of opinions and ideas are monumental to a worker's well being. And instead of hearing *deep sigh* "well, it's payday again, I guess I'll have to write your check" you hear "I really wish I could pay you more."
How can you avoid being loyal to that person and driven to do everything in your power to help them be successful.
Challenges abound, there are unfinished projects that need to be completed. And a new and better way of doing business implemented. However, when you can see inside the heart of someone and know they are doing the very best they can with what they have to work with, you become determined to help in whatever small way is at your command.
All in all at a time in my life when I could and probably should feel like a failure, I have the opportunity to feel like a vital instrument in helping someone else succeed.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I appreciate your post, as the spouse of a business owner, I try to remind myself to express appreciation to our emlpoyees, actually to customers also, we all need to be respected and appreciated.
I am glad your new situation validates your ability to contribute.