Sunday, February 15, 2009

Blazing the Path to the Past

I have renewed my geneology quest. I get so frustrated when I encounter one brick wall after another. The Mormon site is free and is a good source but it will only take a person just so far. There are tons of my family members who don't even show up on their site that have passed away during my lifetime. If anyone knows of other resources I can utilize I would be most grateful. I need to take a drive to Sherman Texas and see my cousin who has done extensive research on my biological father's side of my family. I need to start to work on my mom's side quickly since she and my Aunt are the only people left in my family and as stated before Mom doesn't remember me sometimes much less what happened years ago. Aunt Rose has a good memory, it just needs nudging to get it started and I think a project might be good for her. Maybe her nocturnal visitors would get bored and go away. I have been able to find out that my Great Grandfather worked on a ranch in the Texas panhandle that was owned by Alfred Rowe who was one of the passengers that perished on the Titanic. And I was able to located my Great Grandmother as a 2 year old in an 1880 Census but past that no cigar.
It is interesting to work on this stuff and I know that while my kids aren't interested now they will be someday and I would like to be able to leave them their heritage. I've even managed to spark Roger's interest. His ancestors came from France (some disagreement with the Pope apparently) and they fled to America, however, from what we have been able to glean so far, they traveled back and forth quite a lot until they finally settled here.
I hope everyone has a great week!

No comments: