Thursday, February 5, 2009

Being Moved by the Music

Kody's band concert was this evening. He is in the Wind Symphony which is the primo band at Southside. They played some really nice music but they ended with a piece that was written about the Korean conflict. Even without an explanation regarding what this piece of music was supposed to convey, you knew.
I have never heard a piece so expressive that you literally could close your eyes and see helicopters flying overhead, the roar of the ocean and the staccato sounds of sniper fire. Mixed in with haunting Korean melodies on the flute, oboe and clarinet is was amazingly beautiful. And they performed it so well. I was grateful I had the opportunity to hear this concert in general but this piece in particular. Kody leaves tomorrow for All State Band Concert, fingers crossed everyone!
He is still trying to raise money to go with the band to Hawaii at the end of the school year. His parents are making pretty hefty payments toward that end now that family donations have trickled out. I hope he gets to go, it is a great opportunity for him.
I'm pushing my tired old bones to bed. U-Verse people coming tomorrow and I need to get up in the morning and shovel out Roger's office. He has been denned up in there for 3 days nursing some unknown illness. I don't know what is wrong but he is cranky as a bear.

No comments: