Sunday, May 10, 2009

To My Children on Mother's Day

My Son, although life has not been easy and we have to constantly wrestle out our relationship over and over again, there has never been a moment when I didn't love you completely. You were the answer to my prayers and the most fun I had ever had when you were little. You were the living breathing reason I could tolerate my life. You've always been smart and funny and capable of enormous good kindhearted moments. I regret that I was "learning" with you and made so many mistakes that might have made things play out much differently for you if I had only known how to be a better mother. Truly we should be given a "practice" child before being trusted on a "really for truly" boy. But I want you to know that even though I am angry with you at times - I love you always. I am proud of how far you have come and the hope that you will continue to grow in wisdom remains with me. Always try to remember that even though life presents difficulties, it is still a great life. Nothing is worth having that comes easily and the work toward being better everyday is what makes us important in the grand scheme of things. I hope that you will continue to grow in loving your God, loving your family and that you will ultimately learn to love yourself for you are truly worth loving. Love, Mom

Darling Daughter - sometimes I feel that even though I "practiced" on your brother, I still needed more time to perfect the parenting thing. You were the child I never thought I would have but was blessed with all the same. I think it might surprise you to know that sometimes I ache for you to come and sit in my lap, wrap your arms around my neck and snuggle into me. I miss this even though you are a woman grown with children of your own. You were always such a loving little girl and I knew when you were small that I was your hero. You always made me want to be better. I am in awe of your abilities as a mother. I pray that you will make the most of the time you have with the "littles" while they are small for one day you will miss them so much it will hurt. You possess an amazing spirit and a great capacity for love. You truly have the kindest heart and the unflinching dedication to doing the right thing. You amaze me, you inspire me, you give me reason to think I might have done something right as a mother after all. Everyone who comes in contact with you may not always see what lies hidden in your heart. Most of the time it is because they do not care to look. However, I know where you have been, where you are and where you are headed. And I know that the world is blessed because you are part of it. I wish you a happy life, full of the love of the ones you wish it from. And always remember that I am proud to be your mother and that I love you to the very center of my heart. Love, Mom

1 comment:

Donna said...

Happy Mothers Day!