Thursday, May 14, 2009

Learning to Lean

Today our new daughter-in-law got a lesson in learning to lean. She called me looking for her husband because she was having a crisis and needed him and couldn't raise him on the phone. I immediately put out a 911 call to Roger and he found "son" and sent him on his way to meet his bride. Then Roger went as well.
Tonight she called and kept apologizing for the issue. She doesn't understand how our family works. We may fight like puppies and kittens among ourselves but we tend to circle our wagons and shoot real bullets if we feel one of our own is in trouble.
I never want anyone who has joined this family to feel unwanted, unloved or neglected. We may not have much but we can embrace with open arms and accept new additions with joy and love.
Speaking from experience I know how hard it is when you are used to doing everything yourself to let go and ask someone for something. That first experience of seeking out can be the one that sets the tone for your future relationship. I could no more refuse to be involved than I would have been if it had been my own flesh and blood. I want my family to think of me as the "go-to girl." I may not always be able to get gone but I'll sure give it my best shot.
After I thought about this today it occurred to me that as we are learning to lean on each other we are teaching ourselves and others about our faith in God. God did not put us here to operate independently of others. He intended us to lean first on Him and then to seek out each other for help, comfort and the creature needs of the world. It is in propping each other up that makes us stronger against the prevailing winds that buffet us about each and every day.
My prayer today is that God will always make me aware that I must lean on Him for my strength and then I must share that with others and allow them to lean against me when they are too tired to stand on their own.

No comments: