Sunday, April 5, 2009

Shoot yourself in the foot.

Just when I thought I couldn't possibly be more in awe of infomercials (ie: the Snuggie) they have come out with the Pedi-Pistol.
This is a personal pedicure device that appears to be roughly the size of a blow dryer that is supposed to allow you to reach your own feet without having to bend over.
Are you kidding me?! First of all let's consider the lack of control you have holding something 2 feet away from your feet. I'm thinking I don't want to be trying to file my own toenails from that distance - it might be difficult to stop the rapid blood loss after I sheared off one of my digits trying to shape my toenail.
Besides I'm mad at the Pedi people anyway. After falling for all the hype about the Pedi Paws for dogs and cats I will never trust them again. Just try to get close to your animal with something that sounds like a buzz saw and emits the odor of burning nails if you are ever lucky enough to get them to submit for a filing. Load of malarky alert!!!!
But I guess you shouldn't take my word for it - you can borrow my Pedi Paw unit to test it. But beware........the response I've had with it is equal to the time I decided that vacuuming my cat would be a good idea. If paper shredders were as effective as she was no one would ever have to worry about someone stealing their sensitive information out of the trash. She very nearly ripped me to shreds. Believe me I couldn't get that vacuum cleaner turned off quick enough!
Or you can take your blow dryer (don't plug it in for God's sake) stick a pencil in the end of it and just see how much control you would have trying to do delicate intricate work on your feet with it. I'm betting you won't feel terribly adept at doing your own pedicure.
Granted there are some things advertised on infomercials that truly intrique me but I usually try to resist temptation. After all, I am the daughter of the woman who bought a Flow-bee self hair cutting machine. My poor mother who didn't have a lot of hair to begin with thought that particular money and time saving device would be just the ticket. After it pulled her hair out by the roots and turned her hair into something resembling those poor people who came out of the concentration camps, she too became convinced that there really isn't anything that takes the place of a "real" person providing a personal service. Hairdressers and manicurists I salute you for truly you are in a profession that can never be mechanized.

No comments: