Sunday, November 7, 2010

My Internal Clock is Ticking

So we've all heard about those women who put off having kids until later in life and then feel those inner stirrings to be a mother. They refer to that situation as one's biological clock ticking. Well, my biological clock was put to rest a long time ago however, someone needs to check the adjustment on my internal clock.
For more years now than I care to think about I have had no need of an alarm clock. Oh, I still use one on those rare occasions when it is of CRITICAL importance that I be on time before 10:00 am. Even though I lean on the crutch I know that I don't need it.
That little inner rooster crows every morning at about the same time. Given my age, it no longer takes me very long to get ready to go anywhere. After all, there is just so much one can do with the materials left in our tool box.
But now, I am finding that this idea of Daylight Savings Time wrecks havoc with my little inner Timex. Particularly the Fall Back part. Okay so we've taken 6 and made it 5. Given my proclivity to wake up as much as an hour earlier than my usual 6:00 am - means I am now arising at 4:00.
This has made me highly unpopular with other humans in my house, dogs and neighbors. Because once I'm up, the dogs are up and once the dogs are up there is no slumber for anyone in close proximity.
For the life of me I can't figure out what we are saving all this daylight for, I'm certainly tired of it by the end of the day. I would share some with those who felt they needed more. But in exchange I want some of their night!! I want to sleep more than 2 hours at a time. I'd like to experience the joy of sleeping in again. Why is it that we once were able to sleep so late that we were embarrassed at the lateness of the hour we awoke. And now, the inner ding ding gets us up before the sun to make coffee and wait for the paper to be delivered. Is it because at my age I am quickly approaching that time of life when the eternal sleep is a real possibility? That's a sobering thought.
So sobering in fact I think I will see if I can't hit the snooze button on life for a while and slow things d o w n.
Yep, my internal clock is ticking, thank God. Hopefully it will continue to tick for some time to come, I just have to be very careful to not wind it too tightly.

....and how was your day? I would really like to know. lkbeshears@sbcglobal.net

Peace Out!

2 comments:

Paula said...

Tucker and I were both up at 5 this morning. Fortunately, he went back to sleep and unfortunately, I did not.

bettysue said...

I don't mind the getting up so much, it's the early bedtime that's hard to get used to! I know it's not normal to go to bed at 7:00pm, but my body says "Go", so I do!