Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hero Worship

Several years ago I was asked to judge a local high school's Mr and Miss Pageant. I had no particular qualifications to do so - but the organizer knew me and knew I would be fair.
We were given several questions to ask each contestant and then were tasked with formulating 3 questions of our own.
One of the mandatory questions was "Who is your hero?" The answers were pretty typical for high school seniors. Of course their faith factored heavily into their answers and many talked about their grandparents or parents. Interestingly enough, very few mentioned popular celebrities or sports figures. I enjoyed hearing their answers - it gave me some insight into what was important to them.
I decided to take that mandatory question and turn it around a little. One of my questions to them was "Who do you think looks up to YOU as their hero?"
Suddenly, there was quite a thought process going on. They all knew who they respected and wanted to emulate, but few had given much thought to who might be watching them.
So, today I am challenging you. If there is someone who inspires you, take the time to let them know. Who knows.......you just might find out who finds YOU inspirational.

Peace Out!

2 comments:

bettysue said...

My best friend, Helen, she inspired me, in so many, many ways. Without her I wouldn't be who I am today!
ps, I'm so glad you have the cherry bowl!

dennis said...

Lavetta