Sunday, January 25, 2009

Laughter.....it's catching

Have you ever noticed how infectious laughter is? Even if something isn't remotely funny to us, the sound of someone else laughing can tickle even the toughest funny bone. I'm a firm believer that crying is good for us, it is cleansing and an amazing release. But laughter rejuvenates the spirit, lightens our burdens and restores our soul.
Last night there were a few members of my family here and we were watching marathon episodes of "Mr. Bean". Even though I was truly ill with a sick headache I couldn't help but find pleasure in the humor of those shows. Even more uplifting was the sound of my terribly mature teen-age grandson getting his tickle box turned upside down. I'm not sure if I laughed more at Mr. Bean or Kody, but in either case, I was grateful for the opportunity to laugh.
Really, I guess all emotion is contagious. It is hard to see someone cry without crying along. Most of us are thrilled over the excitement that someone else is experiencing. But laughter has to be the best we can share with each other.
All my life, I've had one of those laughs. It is annoying to some but it is also memorable. Fortunately, I'm not afraid to laugh. It is my ability to find humor in almost every situation that has kept me sane (well almost.) A couple of years ago I was in a restaurant and toward the end of the meal, a lady approached the table and asked "Is your name Lavetta?" When I affirmed that I was indeed guilty of that dubious honor, she told me "I knew it! I'd know that laugh anywhere!"
I think this is one of the nicest things anyone has every said about me because it occurred to me that there are far worse things I could be remembered for.
So.........take note.......on my tombstone please write "She laughed!" :)

1 comment:

Donna said...

I love to laugh, it brightens my day. I think it's great exercise for the body and soul.