Monday, January 26, 2009

Hello? Is this the party to whom I am speaking?

More from mom. Not long ago I noticed I have missed 3 calls from my mom and 3 from her neighbor. Well, of course, I went into a modified stationary panic thinking something horrible had happened. I decided to call mom first on her cell phone and she answered right away. When I inquired what was wrong, she told me that her telephone wasn't working. I said "your home phone isn't working?" to which she replied "neither of my phones are working, I'm at my neighbor's house using her phone." O.........KAY, "Mom, I just called you on your cell phone." "No, you can't call on it, it isn't working that's why I'm at the neighbor's house." "Mom, take the phone away from your ear and look at it, I'm pretty sure you are talking on your cell phone." At this point, I heard her ask someone "What phone am I talking on?" And in the background I heard a soft voice reply "Marie, you are talking on your cell phone." Don't you know her neighbor was wondering why she kept coming over and using her phone when she had a perfectly good cell phone?
My mom and technology are good for laughs any time. Like the time she called me on her land line and told me her cell phone was broken. When I asked what was wrong with it she told me "I opened it up to make a call and I can see my living room in the display." Me: "Mom you have somehow managed to turn on the camera." Mom: "It has a camera?" Me: "Yes, but I didn't want you to know that." (Aside: the reason I didn't want to tell her she had a camera is because I didn't want to have to try to teach her to use it over the phone.)
As I've mentioned before, it would be cruel to use mom as a source of merriment if she had something wrong with her. But she doesn't, she just doesn't remember today what she knew yesterday. Sometimes I think that her memory is selective. If she doesn't deem it important to remember, she doesn't. Plus she doesn't particularly like techno stuff. She is still bemoaning the fact that she can no longer use her analog bag phone in her car.

No comments: