Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Whoooo Let The Dogs Out?

Today we had a doctor's appointment for mom. We had to be there at 8:00 am and that was challenging at best. Getting her ready and then myself is the equivalent of a young mother trying to get triplets dressed and ready for school AND be on time for work herself.
Mom was excited about her appointment. So excited in fact that she went to bed super early and then was up about 4 times during the night sure that we had slept through the alarm.
At 2:00 I awoke from a fitful slumber on my twin sized AeroBed to find her standing over me in a white housecoat. It is a good thing my heart is still holding out otherwise I might be blogging from the great beyond. I carefully got her back in bed and resumed my comfy spot 5 inches from the floor.
At 5:30 Roger woke me and said you need to go check on your mom. As I tried to sweep the cobwebs from my brain I observed our old dog Max wandering around in the living room. I went to see to mom and she wanted to know if it was time to get up. I told her that the alarm was set for 6:00 but since we were all up we might as well get busy.
I asked her "Mom did you let Max out of Roger's office." "No." she replied. "I simply opened the door to check the weather and he came IN."
I resettled her and Roger then told me "This is what I saw." "I woke up and saw your mom scuttling across the hall going OOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO." "Then Max was in my face kissing me."
I wonder who was the most startled. Mom for finding Max ready and waiting to bolt out of the door. Or, Max, standing there expecting one of HIS humans to release him and bring on the breakfast bowl.
Interestly enough, Betty was as quiet as a church in her crate. I'm sure she was thinking "Crap, I don't know this person and I don't trust anyone but the 2 people who live here. I'll be vewwy vewwy qwiet and she won't see me."
It is either a true testimony of mom's resilient nature or the effect of some good drugs that enables her to cohabit with animals.

1 comment:

bettysue said...

Awe, you have a dog named Betty? Thank you!!
On another note, how long? I mean how long will your mom stay with you? Will you be able to stay sane and handle her too? You're so in my prayers, just remember, God won't give us more than we can handle. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers. You really should (like you have time), but you really should keep a journal.