Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened on the Road to CrazyTown

If you know me at all you are aware that I am always referring to CrazyTown. CrazyTown is where I have lived for many years. Actually I am the Mayor of this little burg. Also the Fire Chief, Dog Catcher and Sanitation Supervisor.
Recently CrazyTown welcomed a new resident who has richly added to the fabric of community life. In trying to help my mom get her legs back under her after a serious illness we have regressed to the other side of the tracks. However her contributions to the townhall meetings continue in spite of her weakened state.
Yesterday after pushing a turkey and dressing dinner around on her plate for 45 minutes without enjoying a bite, she declared herself "done with it." I told her I would move the tray table out of her way at which point she instructed me to place those other items on it as well. When I inquired as to what other items she referred to, she indicated my lovely red suede bag (a gift from darling daughter). "Mom, I really don't want to put my purse on your dinner tray." Mom - "I can't get through to you on any level can I? - Put your purse on the tray table." I reluctantly placed my pretty bag on the table trying to avoid the dressing and gravy only to be told that I was being ridiculous in doing so.
Since there are good days and bad days in CrazyTown I hoped for a good day today. However, my arrival at mom's room this morning found her absent from CrazyTown and visiting a planet in a whole different galaxy. Space travel takes a while to return from and just like Star Trek - she arrived back sort of pixelated.
I think we will be having elections soon for a new Mayor - I'm planning on taking up residence in Insanity City.

No comments: