Sunday, November 30, 2008

Stuffed like the turkey!

I've finally waddled my way from the kitchen to the computer with enough energy to write. Seldom in my memory have I had such a wonderful day as Thanksgiving. We actually had everyone here except for the oldest grandson on Thanksgiving. A rare occurrence for us given there are so very many of us.
We had great food, and a tremendous day of family. We are many, we are large, we are loud and it was never more apparent than this Thanksgiving.
All the kids had a rousing game of hide and seek. I never knew there were so many places to hide in my little house. They had great fun and one of them discovered the theory of hiding in plain sight.
One darling daughter learned a lesson on betting with her sister which created memories that still make me laugh today and will for the rest of time. (And remember...kiddo....I have pictures! :)
There was so much laughter that I went to bed with a splitting headache and I've never been so happy to have one.
In spite of all the challenges we have faced this year, for one blessed day, we forgot our individual trials and tribulations and just had fun. It was so uplifting to know that even though our lives have included losing people, finding people, losing jobs, finding jobs, restructuring jobs, broken bones, broken homes, lost pups, and broken cups we are all still standing. Still looking forward and still hoping for those miracles we all know can happen.
Love does conquer all and as long as we remember to concentrate on the things that are truly important, we can overcome anything.
As I looked around my living room at 20 plus people crammed into a few couches and chairs I realized how very rich I am. I have great kids. Some I am responsible for and others that I get to enjoy through the grace of God. I have the most wonderful grandchildren a person could ask for. They are all bright and full of life and strong personalities. I am blessed with sons and daughters in law and life partners of my children that I think are positive influences on my family as a whole. I have a husband that makes me want to be a better person everyday. One that loves me in spite of my warts and wrinkles and sagging skin. I am blessed by God that I still can call my mother and cry on her shoulder. Blessed as well with a few good friends that will be there till the end.
Particularly blessed am I that God allows me to make mistake after mistake and learn from them without costing me. And blessed indeed that my God fulfills my needs and even a few of my wants and loves me enough to allow me to have yet another day to enjoy my life. And so, I am stuffed as full as the Thanksgiving turkey. Not with dressing, stuffed with blessings. I wish you all the same.
Remember.......if you really want to finish the year with a bang, de-stress your Christmas!

No comments: