Monday, March 28, 2011

Sub-terranean Surprises

 

substitute

Subbing for school systems - both rewarding and frustrating. Rewarding in getting a paycheck and feeling like you are helping someone else have some time to do something important to them. Rewarding in seeing cute little shining faces ready to greet a brand new day – (obviously, I’ve been subbing in elementary schools.) Something tells me the junior high and high school kids don’t go tearing into school with the same excitement.

But, there are a certain number of frustrations as well. Like today for instance when I showed up at a school I had been asked to repeat sub at – only to find there were 2 of us booked for the same position. A secretary (who was the one who asked me to come back) was looking at me and demanding to know who asked me to be there. It took everything I had to not ask her “how would I have known to come back if you hadn’t asked me?”

Strangely enough, as bored as I am at times I’m not in the habit of stalking school personnel to see who does and doesn’t show up.

So……I was sent to another school for ½ a day. Gas…..almost four bucks a gallon. Trips to two schools for two and a half hours of work……..priceless.

1 comment:

bettysue said...

The joy in subbing is that there may be one, just one, child that you will bring a smile to. That smile may be the ONLY smile that child will get all day. Even if you did have to go somewhere else, I'm sure God knew there was a little face there that needed you that day...I'm proud of you!