Sunday, March 27, 2011

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

 

photo-1

First of all sleeping dogs don’t lie – their lives are open books when  in the arms of the canine sandman. Their wildest dreams are played out in sleep. They chase rabbits, bark, and run. Essentially, some of them continue their full & busy days and others live the day they wish they’d had.

When Genevieve and I volunteered at pet adoption day for Petco the image that greeted my arrival was one of about a dozen pups - all crashed. My first thought was “wow, what a huge litter!” It turned out they weren’t all related, just all the same size and type and thrilled to have so many slumber buddies.

The biggest truth teller of all dogs is my girl Daisy. Once she is warm, comfy and sound asleep, woe to you if you disrupt her. As soon as you touch her, she emits a low, deep warning growl. If you persist, she will wrinkle up her lip and show her pearly whites while continuing to tell you “leave me alone!”

Daisy never bites and she is always quickly resettled in a more appropriate spot. But she always gives you that early warning signal that you about to piss her off. What a shame we humans don’t always have our “danger” signs in place before someone ruffles our feathers & disturbs our peace.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

My dog Athena nips your feet in the middle of the night if you move them too close to her! hahaha

DeNise said...

My Taz lets out three high (I mean HIGH) pitched yaps if you disturb her peace. But all my dogs will be quiet if I say "shhhh." LOL Ashley - I'd probably have my toes bitten off by now then. I kick around a lot in my sleep.