Sunday, March 13, 2011

How Do You Spell Impending Doom

P-o-l-y-g-a-m-y.
I have just finished watching a whole day's worth of Sister Wives. I like to watch things like this in hopes of finding a new level of understanding about things I'm not sure about.
I have to say that I was left at the end of the day with a certain amount of "liking" for all the people involved. They are all personable, likable, articulate and intelligent people with a whole slew of happy, healthy kids that absolutely seem to be thriving in their environment. The women interact with each other in much the same way a group of real grown sisters would if they found themselves living under the same roof. There were little fusses, some tears, some genuine angst, anger and hurt - all overshadowed by an undercurrent of genuine affection for each other. One started to get the feeling if the fellow in the mix screwed up they might just band together and beat the stuffings out of him and bury him in the back yard.
They were all without exception pretty danged candid about how they felt about splitting time with their "husband"- interacting with each other and most importantly the introduction of a 4th wife into their already pretty complicated existence.
It didn't help matters that the 4th wife is a little "hottie" 1/2 the size of the others and cute as a button. Top that off with the fact she got a big wedding, big reception and an 11 day honeymoon - it is a wonder she is still alive. Of course, she did come with her own unique baggage - 3 children from a previous marriage. All the other children in the "family" are children born into the situation.
The end result was a "coming out" on national TV exposing their lifestyle and admitting to the world that they are polygamists. I found myself very torn about this, more so than I would have been 10 years ago. Now we are expected to embrace "unconventional" lifestyles and arrangements. Families with 2 moms, 2 dads, single parents, foster parents, adoptive parents and any other groupings imaginable. I started to wonder if this was all bad. Everyone seemed to be pretty darned normal to me. They cried when they were hurt or sad, laughed when they were happy, weren't overly nauseatingly affectionate and seemed to the person very committed to the whole sense of family. The children always had a "mom" to go to for their needs even if it wasn't the one they sprang from and the women embraced those children with equal amounts of care,concern and love. I found myself thinking this is a pretty sweet deal for these women if they can deal with the ever decreasing face time they have with their husband. I also started to wonder what man in his right mind wants to take on the care and emotional nurturing of more than 1 female. Come on girls you know we are full time jobs all by ourselves.
The introduction of the #4 wife could prove to be the wedge that begins to drive them all apart. Right now she is living in a separate house while the others all live together, which means when the hubs is with her he is totally absent from the home and presence of all other wives and children. It will be interesting to see where they go from here.
Now I am left wondering how long before the reverse gender polygamy rears its' head. After all after Sister Wives can Brother Husbands be far behind? Speaking very personally now I will tell you that I would NEVER be interested in having more than 1 husband. I will leave you to your own speculations as to why.

2 comments:

Paula said...

I really want to watch that show too! I watch Big Love and that show keeps me hooked, not only by all the indirect polygamy drama, but how the relationships work. I saw the Sister Wives family on a morning show the other day and I noticed how the new 4th wife seemed different than the others-she was trendier and definitely more outspoken. She reminds me of Margie on Big Love-ha. Except Margie is a big push over most of the time and Margie just messed up big time so things are probably going to get pretty hairy for her...yes, Im on the 4th season right now-its getting crazy...you would enjoy!

Donna said...

A show called "Raising Hope" had a segment with Brother Husbands, quite a joke, but it was still funny, with the usual attention is on the Sister Wives!