Tuesday, May 1, 2012

In Character

This past week I took one of the little E girls to the movies. G had read a currently popular book and scored quite high on an accelerated reading quiz and was therefore, ready to see the movie. Now we had already discussed at length the book and the movie (which I am the resident expert in having seen it 3 times now), and she was prepared to see what she had only imagined by reading. I prepared her for parts of the movie that were unlike the book so she would not be disappointed or constantly asking why they did it that way. G was prepared to see it. I was prepared to have a nap during it. What I was not prepared for was my sweet granddaughter's dedication to "character." She dressed all in black, with lace up boots. Her shirt was adorned with a card telling her character's name and hometown. She also carried with her a harmless toy bow and arrow. She was prepared to "live" the movie experience in "character." And, I became dedicated to making sure I experienced it once again with her. I was also, struck for the very first time, with how much she and I view the world in much the same way. If not for the fact I would humiliate my family, I would probably go in character every once in a while myself. I enjoy being able to 100% throw myself into an experience or event and let it carry me away. I probably would have made a pretty fair actress given my ability to immerse myself in stories both written and viewed. I see in G that same trait. The amazing ability to continue to re-invent herself to suit her surroundings. A little human chameleon who fits into the story and cares not that she calls attention to herself by being "in character." I'm pretty sure her movie experience was all the more thrilling because in her mind, it was happening to her, the character. She didn't just see it, she was an active participant in her mind. Something tells me that all through her life, G is going to have an ingrained ability to "walk a mile" in someone else's shoes. She will feel what they feel, be happy and sad with them and probably understand them far better than anyone else will be able to. Being "in character" is already shaping HER character - she always has been very "tuned in" to other people and I love that about her. Her amazing heart is one of the things that makes her so very unique - and I think her heart grows with her talent for identifying with others. So while we worry about our "character" perhaps we can try "being in character". Empathizing instead of simply sympathizing. Knowing our fellow man because we "know" their struggles and joys. Lace up your boots, show who you are....be a character. Be vivid, be colorful, be unique, be different, be alive and connected - and you.will.be.remembered. ................and how was your day? I would really like to know.

2 comments:

bettysue said...

That is exactly what I would expect from your granddaughter! After all, she IS yours!! In this day and age, she is much more free to do what she feels, than our generation was! Good for her! Good for you!

Pura Vida said...

Somehow I think LKB, YOU will be well remembered!