Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I Don’t Think So!

calf

So the whole breastfeeding mother with the "almost ready for pre-school" child who is still suckling has me a bit undone.

While I one hundred percent believe people should raise their children as they see fit....I think "raise" is the key word. I don't think I would have done my children any service by trying to keep them little forever. I truly felt it was my duty to try to raise independent strong individuals who could sustain themselves if the need arose.

I fear some of these newer and more avant -garde parenting techniques will go awry at some point. I already see more of a tendency in parents to make excuses for their children instead of making them "face the music" when they are wrong.

One thing I know for sure is the world WILL NOT coddle them, make everything fair and pretty and easy. Life is hard, often harsh and certainly more often than not..............NOT FAIR.

I guess while these parents are there to run interference for their kids everything will be swell. But what happens when LIFE bites the parents in the butt? What happens if mom has to suddenly go to work, at night, maybe in the daytime too?

What happens if that nice, neat, safe and fairy tale existence comes to a screeching halt? Are those children going to be prepared to handle the changes that will become necessary?  Or will they be traumatized by the radical change in their young lives?

Somehow, I don't think breastfeeding them through a full set of teeth and potty training is going to stand them in good stead when reality hits the fan.

What will see them through are parents who have encouraged them to be independent thinkers and doers. Kids who know their parents love them enough to set boundaries for them and make sure they are safe inside those perimeters.

The caption on that controversial picture asked the question...."are you woman enough?" Obviously not.

But I was enough of a woman to give it my best shot at bringing to the world a good man and a good woman. Sometimes, I feel I was really successful, sometimes I feel I could have done better. But I know for sure my children  understand the world far better than a near 5 year old who still stands and nurses like a calf.

2 comments:

Pura Vida said...

I once knew a lady who let her husband nurse. Now that's weird!

LKB said...

Well....that's just wrong on soooooo many levels!