Friday, February 5, 2010

What Happens Now?

I've completed the week of my mom's service. Now what? My mom has been in the back of my mind or foremost in my thoughts for so long now I'm a little unfocused. Even before the 2 month long tornado hit, I was always thinking about her. Had she called lately? Did I need to call and check on her? The past 2 months just moved everything else out of my head and made me single minded about her health and well being.
Today I went to the store, made my purchases and wandered off without them. I was a tad undone by the young man racing up behind me calling "Ma'am, Ma'am!" One has to wonder if I would have ever noticed that I did not get home with 2 bags of coffee and a stack of paper plates.
Something that hit home today is how quickly everyone's life returns to normal. There is no more steady procession of crock pots and floral arrangements. The funeral home has stamped finished and paid on your business with them. Kids are back at school, people are back at work and yet you still feel the raw emotion that you felt on the very first day.
My very good friend, Judy calls me everyday to check on me. Would that I could be as good a friend to her as she is to me. My dear friends (and they know who they are) still continue to message and offer prayers of encouragement. And, I still receive condolence cards everyday. Those things have made me realize how important it is to hang with someone who grieves. I hope that in the future I remember that the acknowledgment of concern is still appreciated well after the need for it.
And so, What Happens Now? Life happens now and hopefully I am ready to resume it.

1 comment:

bettysue said...

Save everything, and a year from now when you re read everything, you won't remember any of it. Truly your mind is a confusing thing, gets you through things, and then eases you back into life. I'm sorry you're having to deal with all this, and your mom's not there to hear you, but she is. She's everywhere, and you truly, truly were/are a fantastic daughter!