Friday, February 12, 2010

Forget About It!

My memory has always been something to be proud of. I also was prideful of my ability to multi-task in even the most difficult situations. Why, I am that woman who can balance her checkbook waiting on a red light, mop the floor while bouncing a baby on one hip, listen to 3 conversations at once (well provided I can hear them.)**Have I mentioned that I am deaf as a stump?**
Anyway, you get the picture....I am Woman - hear me roar! The Can Do Super Woman for the ages. Able to leap small inchworms in a single bound **I am 60 you know**. And, I could tell you what I was doing, wearing and with who at this exact moment a year ago. In short I was pretty danged sickening.
It didn't help that I was so judgmental of my poor husband who stays so distracted that he can't remember a conversation we had 12 minutes ago. The man that we tell events start a minimum of half an hour earlier just so he can arrive ONLY 15 minutes late. Yes, I will admit it, I was a genuine pain in the butt.
But God (who I am firmly convinced has a highly developed sense of humor) decided to hit me where I lived. Right in the pride.
Since I have dealt with the dementia/Alzheimer's puzzle for a couple of months, my mind automatically goes to a very dark place when I am not as focused as I should be. But I reassure myself with the facts of tired, sinus infection, too much on my mind and struggle on.
The whole trip to Target really started this Forget-a-Thon in motion. I went there for a purpose, forgot why I was there, decided to pick up a few things while already there, paid for them and promptly left without them. There was a time when a cute little teenage boy running after me trying to get my attention in the parking lot would have been a good day. Not so much now. I felt so silly, like those little white haired ladies that forget where they parked at Wal-Mart (oh wait....been there AND done that.)
But perhaps my best Forget-it was yesterday. I spent the entire morning moving furniture out of my living room and vacuuming my carpet in joyful anticipation of carpet cleaners whose ETA was between 12:00 noon and 2:00 PM.
I have dogs so the whole vacuum experience was delightful since I was able to accumulate enough dog hair to build an Alaskan dog sled team. Plus I had Jessie who is a vacuum hater/chaser. Compounding the craziness was Genevieve's dog Charly who turns out to be a vacuum hater/chaser as well. Vacuuming with one hand and rebounding attacking canines I eventually triumphed over the floors.
My husband (creep) remarked once that I had "lovingly" (his word - not mine) cleaned my floors so someone could come and clean my floors. I ask you is this really that hard to understand? Do guys really not get the whole "I don't want people to think I'm a slob" mindset?
Soooooooooooo, by noon I have a living room that is stripped down to the bare essentials, have been to Lowes to buy bulbs for my bathroom light fixture, and checked on paint options for my bathroom cabinets. I'm having a great day thank you very much! And how you doin'?
Back home I perch on my couch to wait for the carpet cleaners. And wait, and wait and wait. 2:00 which is the back end of their agreed upon arrival time rolls around with no big yellow truck at my house. Highly incensed, I march back to my office to get the phone number to give someone a large piece of my mind. While perusing the phone book I notice my desk blotter where I have written the appointment. Not today (Thursday), not tomorrow (Friday), certainly not Saturday or Sunday. But, instead, my carpets are scheduled to be cleaned Monday.
Well isn't that just great - wipe that self satisfied smirk off your face, Roger! To make matters worse, there's no way I can hide this one. All our furniture is crammed in the bedroom and I'm not bringing it back!
So, see what I mean about the sense of humor thing? Shot square in the pride with no place to hide. Oh well, in the words of that other whining, manipulative heroine in literature - "I'll worry about it tomorrow." Maybe I'll even remember to worry about it. Now where did I put my glasses.....I need them to find my phone.

1 comment:

Rojo said...

CHUCKLE!!!