Friday, February 26, 2010

Can I Have a Geritol on the Rocks - Please?

Well, the day I never thought would happen is approaching. I've tried running from it. But apparently it has much better sneaker connections because every time I look over my shoulder, it is breathing down my neck.
As if I hadn't already enough to contend with, now I have this to look forward to. Really? Couldn't I please postpone this for just one more year. I need to prepare. By the time the sun sets on my Sunday, I will be 60 years old. I have dirt in my flower beds younger than me. It takes the combined ages of ALL my grandchildren to be older than me. I have turned the corner on Tired and Irritable Lane and found myself on Geriatric Boulevard where everything that moves is on wheels and pills.
Gone are the days that nicely built and reasonably good looking young men would follow me to tap me on the shoulder and tell me how attractive I am. Now if one is following me, chances are he's trying to steal my purse in hopes I'll have social security check inside.
No more can I look at the Tilt - A - Whirl at the fair and shriek "I wanna ride THAT!" The kiddie carousel makes me so dizzy my ears ring.
Oh and speaking of ears, I was already dealing with the whole "hearing aid" reality and now I'm wondering how long it will be before someone breaks out an old time ear trumpet for me.
Bi-focals, tri-focals, quadrafocals.......why in the heck don't they just call them what they really are OLDFOLKALS.
Each and every joint in my body decided to chime in today. I felt like you could hear them protesting with each move. Didn't you hear it? It sounded like a group of 1st year violin students running their scales. And to add insult to injury the popping of my knees made the people around me think a plane had just gone super sonic overhead.
My granddaughters think I look like Mary Kay Ash (who is dead for goodness sake!)
Please don't get me wrong, I am so thrilled to still be around but I truly don't feel ready for this next phase.
As I've looked back today I realize there are some things I would like do overs on.

I would write my granddaughters a letter every day telling them how much I love them, and giving them insight into my thoughts and my heart.

I would not overlook people who were not "in the groove" - I have learned that everyone has something to share and more importantly, something to teach.

I would laugh every single chance I got. I would not waste one second of my precious life crying about anything.

I would be more tolerant of other people's mistakes.

I would never be without a dog for even a single second.

I would ALWAYS send a card, make a phone call, hold a hand, offer a prayer, lend an ear and wipe a tear.

I would awaken every day of my life praising God for my existence and for allowing me to experience every single blessing and challenge He gave me. And, I would go to bed every night begging forgiveness for failing so miserably in every way shape and form.

I would use the words I LOVE YOU in speaking to everyone I know - and I would mean them. And, I would earnestly ask to be loved in return.

I would read my daughter's unwritten book on being a wife and mother and try to be better at each.

I would listen to my grandparent's boring stories about their lives. It would make understanding my own so much easier.

I would genuinely try to never wrong anyone, but if I did, I would "man up" - admit it - ask forgiveness and love them anyway even if they refused.

I would journal my life every day - these are the bones of a family. The foundation we build on. I would leave it to others to put flesh on those bones.

I would be happy, joyous, glad, worshipful, praise driven, honest, kind, compassionate, fearless and soft enough to expose my tenderest parts.

Happy Birthday Old Girl! You've lived a lot, loved more than most, laughed till your stomach ached, cried a river, saw a lot, heard even more and thankfully spoke about it less. You are a contradiction in terms - and I actually find you kind of interesting. Let's try to leave this orb much better for us being here.

3 comments:

Donna said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful weekend/day/year! You deserve to celebrate all you want!

Paula said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Lmiyagi said...

Belated Happy Birthday!!!
You are a wonderful Person who deserves to celebrate and I hope you had a wonderful day/weekend and best wishes for the whole year!! Love you!