Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mommy Dearest

My mother lives in Amarillo Texas. She has a birthday coming up next month. She is well into her 80's. She has always enjoyed great health, had enough money to live comfortably and has enjoyed her independence. I'm very grateful for her ability to live alone, think for herself, maintain her own lifestyle and be independent.
The last year has started to show a slight decline in her health. I talk to her everyday and some days I can tell she really feels bad. She has fallen several times, experienced some dizzy spells and I know she doesn't eat properly. My mother has a love affair with sugar and would eliminate all food substances from her diet and exist solely on sugar if she had her druthers. And, unfortunately, she has her druthers.
Several weeks ago we discussed the fact that she eats NO protein. When asked what she had eaten that day she replied that she had 3 bowls of ice cream and 2 Butterfinger candybars. I tried to impress on her the need to have some veggies and some meat, chicken or fish.
Now, dear readers, understand my position. I am her ONLY child. I live in Arkansas, my 2 children live in Arkansas, their children live in Arkansas and mom's only surviving sibling lives in Arkansas. Mom has no family in Texas...NONE. She has few friends (all as old as she is.)
In order to do anything for her it would involve at least a 9 hour car trip. Thanks to 9 - 11 buying a plane ticket on a moment's notice is practically financially impossible - not to mention that it is almost impossible as well.
Roger went this week and checked into a nice retirement based Mobile home community similar to the one she enjoys in Texas. Further, he checked into the cost of moving her trailer here. Following is a summary of the conversation I had with my mother this morning.
Me: Here's all the info on Flat Rock Village - there are some homes there for sale or you could sell your home in Amarillo and take the $ and purchase another one here.
Mom: Well that would mean I'd have to come out there and look.
Me: Would you rather sell yours and then just look at homes there and then let me know what you choose and we could get it here, move it in and get it ready?
Mom: I think I'm just too tired to move.
Me: I'm not trying to pressure you but I would like for you to make your decisions while you still have options and can make those decisions yourself.
Mom: Well, how would we make all this happen?
Me: First you have to decide what you want to do - then we can start pulling together the details.
Mom: There are lots of people here my age that are managing fine.
Me: Yes mom and I'm pretty confident that they all have at least one person who could be there quickly if needed.
Mom: Well at my age there wouldn't be any need to hurry.
Me: I'm not talking about dying - I'm talking about if something needed to be decided that you were unable to do for yourself. I would not be able to get there quickly enough to help you.
Mom: Well I don't have that many years left anyway.
Me: Mom I know you are getting older that is why I would like to be able to spend time with you before anything happens.
Mom: I think I'll go get some moving boxes and pack up all my stuff.
Me: Why would you do that before you decide what you want to do. All you will be doing is living around a bunch of boxes.
Mom: Well, I'd be able to decide - I might just want to rent an apartment.
Me: Rent an apartment where?
Mom: Here in Amarillo.
Me: How is that solving our problem?
Mom: Well then if anything happened, the trailer would already be sold and you wouldn't have to deal with any of it.
Me: Mom, I don't want you to base your decision on that. If something happened I will gladly take care of selling your trailer and dealing with all the details involved. I'm not concerned with that - I'm concerned with you being so far away.
Mom: I just hate the thought of moving somewhere where I don't know anyone.
Me: THIS IS WHAT I WANTED TO SAY!!! So basically you would rather be around mere acquaintances than your whole damned family?
THIS IS WHAT I DID SAY...Mom, you do know people here, your family is here, all of it. Your child, your grandchildren, your great grandchildren (that you barely have seen - didn't say this just wanted to), and your sister along with the whole extended family.

I give up. She literally would rather die alone than be around her family. And at some point I am going to feel like the worst daughter ever because I didn't look after my mother. Honestly I am so frustrated that I could almost do something drastic. Her trailer is titled in my name, I could almost sell the thing and force her to move I am so PO'd. If anyone has any suggestions I would welcome your input because I am at the wall without a place to go.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Im sorry Lavetta. I dont have ny advice for you, but offer you a big HUG. Maybe Donna has some words of advice...

Donna said...

I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to let you know I care!
My Mom passed away last year after my sisters and I spent 10 years caring for her.

Donna said...

I forgot to mention that my Mom had taken to eating sweets only, is that a sign of declining thought process or does all the sugar hasten the decline?

Note to my kids, what our diet and plan accordingly!