Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Egg And I

eggs

Today I pay homage to a recent love, love, love affair of mine.  There was a time when I did not appreciate the perfection of the humble egg.  I have come to see the error of my ways.

Perhaps it is the diminishing of disposable cash that has brought about my devotion to that which Humpty Dumpty made famous by tumbling off a wall.  **My theory here is old HD was slightly in his cups or he wouldn’t have broken his noggin**

There are few things as versatile.  As nourishing.  As artistic.  Heck just in general as much fun as what my dad used to refer to as “cackle fruit.”  There are good eggs and bad eggs.  Bad eggs are particularly heinous, but it takes a lot for them to become that way.  Sort of like some people who have to deal with major stressors for too long – they start to be a bit “off.”

Hard boiled, deviled, scramble, fried, poached, basted….pickled – did I forget anything?  A lot like people.  I personally can ascribe an actual human being in my acquaintance that could be the depiction of each state of egg.

They are canvasses of color at Easter.  Toys during certain eclipses.  Objects of retaliation and revenge by teenagers.  And the delight of all my dogs’ hearts on Sunday mornings.

They also challenged me to learn to make a perfect omelet – something I am very pleased to report I have mastered.  I appreciate the fact that as long as I have eggs I will never starve – my cholesterol may be sky high, but by gosh I will eat.

The only thing I regret about eggs is their inability to bounce.  But even that was turned into a positive when I dropped a dozen on my super heated driveway where they promptly cooked to the consistency of a rubber ball.  My dogs loved them, however, and saved me from having to hose off the concrete.  Good thing too ‘cause truly – “all the King’s horses and all the King’s men couldn’t put those Humptys back together again.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dogs always get eggs on Sundays,too!

LKB said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I have recently learned that egg whites are wonderful for burns. Who Knew?