Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Going Home Without Helen

It is official....I am going to Texas the end of this month. I am combining a much needed trip to see my mom with my 40th Class Reunion. Good Grief! How did I get to be so old.
This trip will be very hard on me since it is the first time I have been home since my oldest best friend passed away. She was the heart and soul of our hometown. A larger than life personality. There wasn't anyone who didn't know Helen. She made every event better for her being there and I'm not sure how I will handle not having her to catch up with. I have the most amazing and beautiful memories of our friendship and losing her is surreal. I only recently took her phone number out of my phone. I will never forget her calling me every Feb. 28 and razzing me over being older than her (her birthday was March 1). The thing that I am left with is the realization that as large a person as she was, there will be much talk and remembering her at this reunion. Maybe I can pretend she's only on vacation.
I'm looking forward to seeing my mom and spending some time with her. Hopefully I can escape cleaning the shed this trip. I've cleaned it the last two visits and I think the contents are breeding because she tells me it is full again. I don't know how because I also cleaned out closets, dresser drawers, cabinets, any furniture that could contain things, threw things away into the dumpster. So I don't know where the stuff is coming from unless she has a storage unit somewhere she's not telling me about.
Please pray that we will have smooth skies for flying, peaceful hearts and a wonderful time of fellowship while we are away. :)

1 comment:

Donna said...

We cleaned on my Mom's stuff for 10 years!