Sunday, October 4, 2009

And Now They Have a Monkey!

I am watching a documentary on TLC called "My Monkey Baby". I am mildly disturbed by this production. I have found that documentaries typically have a tongue in cheek way of making fun of the people they are chronicling.
This particular viewing follows 3 couples who have opted to raise a monkey instead of a baby. In each case this is probably a good call. These people treat the animals exactly as you and I would treat a human baby. They are cuddled and slept with, fed human food, dressed in doll clothes and spoiled beyond imagination.
In the case of one couple they are outraged when they are told they cannot eat in a restaurant with their "baby". Their entire argument is that their monkey behaves better than most children. Maybe so, but I still don't want to share a restaurant with an animal. There is a health issue here. I am the biggest dog lover in the world but I don't take my dog to a restaurant.
Now one monkey is getting punished for taking her "panties" off. Hello......animal.....not supposed to wear panties.
In the case of 2 of these women, I worry about their mental stability. One woman by her own admission lost touch with her 6 children after they grew up. She has grandchildren that she doesn't see but instead she pours all her love and devotion into her monkey. I find myself wondering about her kids and grandkids. What an empty spot they must have in their lives where their mom and grandmother is supposed to be.
One of the things my parents instilled in me was that it was my duty to grow up, become an independent functioning adult and produce independent functioning adults as well. Because my children are grown and can do for themselves this does not relieve my role as their mother. My grandchildren are a joyous thing for me. I have one who always, always tells me how pretty I look. Sorry folks, I need that. And while my animals adore me with a devotion that sometimes passes all understanding, they cannot give me that reassurance of their love that little arms wrapped around my neck and a small voice whispering secrets in my ear can.
The other woman actually had step-daughters at one time who she obviously loved a lot and she has thrown herself into raising several monkeys in lieu of the children she can't have.
The third couple is young, the guy has opted to have a vasectomy to keep from having kids. He and his girlfriend are not married. As I am watching right now they are smuggling their "baby" into Target on a shopping spree. I can see this custody case taking shape even before the bloom of the new baby has faded.
Primates live a long time so the issue of what happens to the monkey when the "parents" pass away. Somehow in the case of the one woman I suspect her children are even now seeking legal counsel to figure out what their options are. I can see the court case now. Since the monkey baby is used to wearing makeup and real clothing maybe she can "pass" for just another face in the crowd in the courtroom. And let us not forget that primates are still "wild" animals capable of losing it at the drop of a hat and hurting the very people who loved them so much.
I really feel badly that these women who obviously have so much love to give can't find a human outlet for that affection. There are so many people especially children in the world that could benefit from that outpouring of love. That being said I would hesitate to have my child left alone with either of them.
The saying of "different strokes for different folks" has never rang more true.

No comments: