Sunday, June 10, 2012

Smoke.............and mirrors.



I know better than to watch news first thing in the morning. But, hubs is a news junkie so it is often forced upon me. And then my blood pressure gets all spiky, my heart gets all racy and my tongue gets wicked.

I am APPALLED at the lack of concern by a certain Congressman in helping a little widow woman find out what really happened to her husband. She has remained faithful to him since he never came home from WWII and has apparently received conflicting reports regarding him that are too numerous to mention. Only when a concerned relative took to the internet and did what you and I do everyday by searching around was she able to get closure. And from what I understand it didn't take much looking.

Imagine her pride in knowing that to a certain village in France - her husband died a hero, crashing his plane and managing to avoid their village. For decades they maintained a grave for him in their local cemetery and then when he was moved to the one at Normandy, maintained that one as well. His name is etched on that beautiful white cross in a field of others. HIS NAME. There is a yearly ceremony honoring him and they named a street for him. HIS NAME.

All this time, strangers have been honoring an American while his wife quietly honored him faithfully at home. Requesting information from the only people she knew to ask. Receiving form letters with erroneous information.

Apparently this story first was told on the anniversary of D-Day but today it aired on CBS. I take issue with various news organizations on occasion as I believe they all have an agenda. But this story is difficult to spin, especially given the Congressman's statements and releases since. After this morning, the Congressman in question's Facebook page began to "blow up" with criticism regarding his handling of this sad situation. And, unlike his handling of that sad situation, the response was swift and surgical.

Comments started disappearing as if they were never posted. No one was able to "like" a comment and, for some - like me, soon the ability to comment just went away....like smoke......and mirrors. And for the record, I tried to be reasonably courteous in my comment. I, at least, did not call him profane names (I just thought them). Sir Congressman continues to "stand" by his packaged apology, which for some,may be adequate. I find it shockingly inadequate. And now the Facebook page has come down entirely, allowing no one else to even view.

For me.................my belief is he needs to personally pay for as many trips to France as Mrs. Harris cares to make in the time she has left on earth to visit and pay tribute to the man she loved enough to remain faithful to all these years. And further, all those flowers she sends regularly to adorn his grave should not be at her expense either. She feels she has years to make up for because she had no knowledge. I feel our Government has much to make up for because the knowledge was there and the means were there to know, they just couldn't be bothered.

And, as for you Mr. Congressman..........you may silence some of the people, some of the time but you cannot hide from this one. This horse has gone galloping out of the gate and there will be no putting it back in the barn no matter how much smoke you blow or how many mirrors you use. The one you look into every morning as you shave will show your true face.

3 comments:

LKB said...

Side Note - Congressman's Facebook Page has come down. And they say a few people CANNOT make a difference. We haven't changed the situation or him but we have effectively shut down that avenue of self - indulgent rhetoric.

Pura Vida said...

does he read your blog?

LKB said...

Pretty sure I am too insignificant for his readership, however, the comments that caused the seeming collapse of his Facebook page were in that forum. I just blogged after - I am pretty pleased that I seemed to be in a majority in my opinion, which for me, is rare. :)