Friday, January 20, 2017

An Open Letter to You, and You....and You



What's it been now....two years....give or take a week or two?  At least two years when we all started considering who might be the next President, and anguishing over the lack of really inspiring candidates.  After all, most of those really GOOD men and women with great inspirational characters would rather take a bayonet to the eyeball than put themselves into the political lion's den.  Many were called, fewer were chosen, some ran like rabbits and in the end only two remained.

I feel like a talent agent who discovered a Marilyn Monroe in a coffee shop on the corner of BFE....I SAW Trump from the beginning.  I saw him, I heard him, I laughed at him, I wondered about him and more than a few times, I cringed over him.  But, he made me feel things.  Each encounter I had with him via TV made me engage with him.  Sometimes, it was a visceral not nice engagement.  Other times it was an "I wonder what this guy was like in junior high school" engagement.  And, sometimes, it was "this guy must be an amazing businessman."

I have said for a long time that America is a business...the biggest business in the world and it needs a business man to hold the reins.  We spend too much, we don't account for things correctly, we don't protect our investments, and we don't recognize that when the takers in a society outnumber the makers in our society, we are doomed to fail.  My husband didn't agree with me....AT ALL.  He was a late arrival on the Trump Train, but he kept inching closer to getting a seat as more and more of those career legacy politicians left unsavory flavors in his mouth that he couldn't ignore.

So, whether or not you like it, or like me, on the dawn of this momentous moment in our American history, you are going to receive my opinion.  You are forewarned....if you don't want it, click off now.  I am going to use my right as an American citizen - old, white, not privileged, under educated, female, to speak my mind.

First I will address the Jackass in the room (I wanted to say elephant, but that is my party's symbol so I had to go in a different direction.)  My great grandparents were yellow dog Democrats.  I actually remember hearing my Great Grandfather (whom I adored) tell his granddaughters, "If I ever find out you have voted Republican I will personally beat you bloody."  He felt that way because the Democratic party began as a party for the people (unfortunately, they also have quite a history in being anti-black, pro-slavery, anti-feminist, pro KKK, and a great many other platforms on which they stand with righteous indignation today.)  In fairness, so do those who grace the "other" side of the aisle.  Pawpaw had such an impact on his granddaughters that one of them voted Democratic until she died because she thought it was the right thing to do regardless of how she felt herself.  Such was the respect she had for that man.

I did not vote for Hillary Clinton.  I have never voted for anyone because they were black, brown, yellow, white, male or female.  I vote because I feel things and I trust my instincts.  I AM a woman and I know women far better than I would like to and as a woman she made me uncomfortable.  Had she been the woman my heart believed was right for America I would have marched, burned my bra (happily), donned unattractive pant suits and stood right there with her..........but I couldn't.

The reason I couldn't is because I am tired.  I am tired of the same old business as usual, legacy entitled political machine that believes they are the only people with ideas, the only people with social conscience, and the only ones who manage to put one foot in front of the other and walk through the world.  We don't need our leaders to tell us how to live....we're doing it every day.  For the most part we don't need a moral compass - we need someone to be strong.

The thing that has pushed me to the limit is the fact that unless you are a certain color, sexual orientation or lack of one, or live in California or New York....you simply do not exist....you do not matter....you aren't smart....you need guidance....you need to be taken care of or protected from yourself.

And then...along came Trump.  With his funny hair, his erratic movements, his outrageous personality, and his complete inability to back down when he felt he had been wronged.  He didn't whine about the fact that he was talked about because he was a man, or had funny hair, or that he had failed at a lot of things, or had no political experience....he simply fired back and more often than not hit his target.  If news organizations are telling overt lies about you, are you supposed to shrivel up and die?  Or, should you whip out the worn out race or gender card?  Or, should you state your case, and let the chips fall.

I found myself, often, over the past 8 years hypnotized.  That even, dead calm delivery left me wondering at the end....what was said?  Maybe it is because I myself, am blunt, direct, to the point, and often speak without forming complete sentences because my ideas are coming so quickly I seem erratic - but I find the brisker, pointed, and get down to business language easier to understand.  I don't like 10 minute answers to a "what time is it?" question.  Tell me what time it is don't tell me how to build a clock or the history behind clocks.  Answers that are filled with many big words strung together resonate with me as an effort to sacrifice quality for quantity and lull me to sleep where I'm not paying close enough attention.

I am a different person - I know that.  I don't respond often as a "typical" woman and I am not easily offended unless you make the mistake of discounting my intelligence or ability to understand issues and platforms for myself.  And, I don't appreciate someone else being discounted because they don't speak as eloquently as some or swagger through life like a seasoned politician.  I don't need my information filtered through the hearts, minds, and mouths of people who view themselves as much smarter - I kind of like hearing from the person themselves and deciding for myself how I feel about it.

Eight years ago, I watched with a prayerful heart and tears in my eyes.  Not because I was angry about the outcome of the election but because I genuinely felt it was an amazing moment in history.  I prayed and hoped it would finally close the door on a division in our country.  President Obama was not my candidate, but he was my President and I prayed for him and his entire administration every day.  To wish him ill would have been wishing ill on my country, my countrymen and myself.  In my mind, this is the definition of an American - God, family, country.

Today, I again stand with a prayerful heart and tears in my eyes, hopeful that we can regain our country because I truly believe this is our last chance.  And I know that God rarely calls the qualified.  He instead chooses to qualify those He calls.  And today, once again, I get to witness a great moment in our nation's history that confirms for me what I was taught to believe as a child.  The greatness of our nation that assures anyone that they can grow up and one day become President of the United States of America.

I am finished with political posts and commentary, I instead choose to spend my energy on helping our new President accomplish what we need.  I did it 8 years ago and maintained until I just couldn't see the reason to continue to support someone who did not respect or represent my core values.  I assure you that should our 45th President prove to be a disappointment I will be reflecting my displeasure at the polls where contrary to what I once believed, votes really do matter.

I thank you all for taking this journey with me whether you've ever agreed with me or not.  I respect you all and wish you well and I urge you to give this guy a chance.   Don't enter into tomorrow automatically discounting his ability or desire to accomplish great things.  We all have greatness within us and with God's help that greatness can come forth in a mighty way.  Don't label yourself as anything other than an American.

2 comments:

Terry said...

Very well said, my feelings exactly, but I was not kind to Obama, couldn't stand the man.It wasn't because he was black, give me a Herman Cain, Allen West or Ben Carson and I would have voted them. Color wasn't the issue. You know I had grandparents who felt the same way, but it's not the same party, not the working man's party anymore.

LKB said...

Thank you for your comment Terry. I completely understand your feelings, it wasn't a color issue for me either....until it was. And, that is what is most unfortunate about the past 8 years in my opinion....so many of us were straining to close the door on racism only to have our fingers shut in it and made to regret it.