Wednesday, June 18, 2014

DIY - Does This Mean DIE - Like in Expire, Pass Over?

Apparently DIY (which is an Acronym for Do It Yourself) could be construed to mean DIE sucker DIE!

DIY is all the rage right now and yes, I confess to having been chomped on by the DIY bug.  I blame my mother whose phrase "don't pay for that we can make it" still resonates with me and I find myself using it from time to time.  And while it is true I have these twinges of guilt over it because I know that the person whose item I am mentally cataloging has spent time working on for the purpose of making MO-NEY.

One thing I have learned is if I am going to DIY (both literally and figuratively) I need to find a block of time when the hub-a-lump is not in residence.  This adds a whole other level of skill to the project - trying to DIY without being noticed....and helped.

Recently, I had this idea...
Yes, I realize...big deal it's a pot of flowers sitting on a table.  But wait....in this case, the umbrella goes through the pot and through the table and into the stand.  I thought myself most clever.  Darling hubs had the idea to shield the umbrella pole with PVC pipe to prevent it from rotting due to exposure to wet conditions in the pot...GREAT IDEA!!!  Really.  He even went and obtained all the supplies to make this project ready to DIY!  However, I am a lot more like my mom than I would like to admit and when I have these moments I want them to happen NOW.  So 2 weeks after supplies, I decided to DIM (Do It Myself).  I carefully measured and cut the PVC pipe (easy peasy) then I cut a hole in the inner tray of the pot (did that with kitchen shears - again no problemo).  I was ready to tackle the hole in the outer pot.  At this moment, help arrived.  My help whipped out his trusty Bosch drill and attached a tool to it that looked like it could ream a hole through the earth all the way to China.  Inverting the pot, he commenced to drill.  The second that razor sharp paddle thingie touched that plastic pot an explosion happened.  Plastic shards flew everywhere (and no kids we weren't wearing our safety glasses).  This resulted in a different explosion, one of the human variety as my help was not happy with the first explosion.

The upshot was I went back to the lumber yard and obtained another pot and then I used a fireplace lighter to heat up the plastic and push it around until I had a hole of sufficient size to fit over my umbrella pole.  I would like to say all were happy but me having a successful piercing of the pot didn't help the climate at my homestead one bit.  But now we are over it and neither one of us is telling the other to DIY and I've moved on to my new project.
Again, it doesn't look like much, but you have to imagine it hanging from my patio cover ceiling at night.  All that is left on this is to hang it - something I can't do as the thing weighs 1/2 as much as I do but I am hopeful this can happen without anyone having to DIY (literally.)

1 comment:

Daniel R. said...

So very glad the Bowl showed up again!